If you are looking for a way now to volunteer in Ghana, know that there are a number of ways you can be effective. One way is to ensure that you concentrate in a field where you are an expert. Like for example if you are an educator, then you can volunteer in Ghana teaching kids or teaching IT education to underprivileged kids. That is right as there are so many kids and teens in this country that are just waiting for someone to extend a hand. They are quite enthusiastic in learning however, they lack teachers.
If you will volunteer overseas and choose Ghana as your point of destination, becoming a teacher should be a big help. But first, you should know how it works:
- You can teach English. Well, of course we all know that aside from English being the universal language, this is also the national language of this country. However, it does not mean that this is the only tongue use here in Ghana. In fact, there are different tongues used in this country and this should be your focus. You can teach these kids who are used to speaking different language so that they can also tell their different stories to the world.
- Even if you are not a qualified teacher actually, you can still teach English if you want to, given you are familiar with the subject of course. You will be supervised by a qualified teacher anyway. The bottom line is, you will be able to deliver your teaching plan in a fun and entertaining way so that the children will be motivated to follow you. English is not the only subject you can teach though like you can also teach math, science and geography. Again, this understood that you are familiar with the mentioned subjects. There will be no need for diplomas or any kind of certification. You only need the drive to work with the children.
- Your bottom line should be when volunteering to teach in English it so help in improving the conversational English skills of the children in Ghana. You must encourage interaction and again, you can also teach other subjects like the ones mentioned above.
- You are only expected to do voluntary teaching from Monday to Thursday every 8 am to 2 pm. This means, you still have time to explore Ghana like to go safari and so on.
- You will be staying in a volunteer dormitory of course along with the other volunteers. The place where you will be teaching is just 30 minutes drive away or if you prefer, you can also just take a walk.
So, if you think you are what they look for, you should now plan for your volunteering bottom line. It is really self-fulfilling to know that there is a way for you to help those who are in need. After all, it is said that no man is an island.